click here to access stephendweck.com!

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

CFDA TRAVEL BOOK

The CFDA, the ultra chic and exclusive council of American fashion designers, came out with their latest book. In 2009, the CFDA published the American Fashion Cookbook, showcasing designers personal recipes and illustrations. My father included our family's beloved Arroz Con Pollo, a Cuban staple and an all around favorite. My grandma, my fathers mother, is from Cuba, and although she cooks unbelievable Cuban dishes, this dish is our favorite! Below is the recipe and gorgeous illustration found in the book.
 Behind the Burner: Haute Chicken: Arroz Con Pollo








Ingredients:
1 whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces (remove skin, if desired)
1/4 cup olive oil
2 large onions, chopped
6 cloves of garlic, diced
1 large green pepper, chopped
4 plum tomatoes (canned whole tomatoes), chopped
1/2 jalapeño pepper, seeds removed, chopped finely
2 bay leaves
1 packet of Goya Sazon seasoning
1 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. salt
1 can of beer
4 tbsp. cider vinegar
Roasted red peppers
Frozen peas, thawed
Capers
2 saffron threads
Instructions:
1. Place onions, tomatoes, green peppers, jalapeño pepper and garlic in a wide, shallow pot.
2. Add capers, green olives, bay leaves, oregano and olive oil. Sauté for 15 minutes until stew-like.
3. Add chicken, water, and vinegar. Cover and simmer until chicken is tender. Don't overcook. Remove chicken and set aside.
4. Add rice to vegetable mixture and simmer uncovered until water is absorbed. Then add one can of beer and saffron. Cover and simmer until rice is soft.
5. To serve, place rice on a large platter or serving dish. Place chicken over rice and garnish with roasted red peppers and green peas.

NOW..Back to the point of this post, the CFDA just introduced their latest book, American Fashion Travel, highlighting designers' personal photos and travel tips. My father is featured again and makes a cameo in one of the photos! A few months ago, my mom and I, helped my father put together a collage of my father's room keys. The final photo looks great and the page is so inspiring!
The book. SO chic on the bench in the hallway.


Below, my fathers page. My mom, Sarise, also makes a semi-cameo!
The photos in clockwise order: the collage of room keys, my father in the Ramon Crater in Israel (trust me I was there, in the dead of summer it felt like over 100 degrees!), and a mosaic in Barcelona


NOTE: Both books are inspiring, beautiful and glamorous. Check them out.
Also, we are all avid cooks, chefs and bakers. We also happen to enjoy eating the food! I hope you enjoy the recipe and personal comments. We love to share!


-Caroline

No comments:

Post a Comment