click here to access stephendweck.com!

Sunday, December 4, 2011

FASHION AS ART

The Spring 2012 fashion shows that showed this past September offered a lot more to the industry than neon trends and color blocking. I know this since I have spent too many hours scouring Style.com and even more hours writing my art history papers, but I found a compromise! 
I pulled together my favorite runway looks and favorite paintings that I learned this past semester and developed a paper combining my two passions. These pairs that I have put together are a mix of whimsy and imagination, but other suggestions are welcome. Enjoy!


The first pair is inspired by my favorite designers', the Mulleavy sister of Rodarte and thier rendition of Van Gogh's The Starry Night, (which happens to be the cover of my 15 lb. textbook!)


 And another Rodarte dress inspired by Van Gogh's other masterpiece Sunflowers.
This magical photograph is from this month's Vogue, The Cult of Beauty, shot by Stephen Meisel. 
Below is the original painting of Ophelia, by John Everett Millais, a Pre- Raphaelite painter.


 This pair doesnt need any explanation! The Dolce & Gabbana collection was a mix of sexy,fun, and healthy, that  made me think of Gustave Caillebott's Fruit Displayed on a Stand. The entire D&G collection had prints including something from the stand, with additions of hot chile peppers, eggplants and cucumbers!
 

This dress designed by master Oscar de la Renta is breathtaking in cream tulle and a red silk ribbon, very reminiscent of Eugene Delacroix's Liberty Leading the People.
(Which also happens to be the album cover of Coldplay's Viva La VIda)

 

Here, Florence from Florence and the Machine sings at the Chanel SS 2012 show in a seashell, one that inspired my post, Under the Sea! At right is what I assume is the inspiration for her look, the spectacular painting by Sandro Bottecelli of Birth of Venus. Both the singer and the artist are my absolute favorites!







And now I MUST get back to studying for my Art History final! Wish me luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment